Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Pratical HDR

I'm tired of everyone putting down HDR as a photo fad. Sure all those over processed pics are getting quite tiresome but when done right and with some restraint I would consider some of them to be fine art. We as photographers/artists when given new tools are obligated to fully investigate them. I remember when Photoshop first came out and how it was touted as just a fad with no practical use except to create bizarre manipulations for artists to play with. Now we can't survive without it. Now I too like to play with the artistic side of HDR but I have also found a practical use for this process. HDR(High Dynamic Range) is fantastic for bringing out detail and texture in images. I've found this to be extremely useful in photographing interiors. By using HDR I don't have to lug a big lighting kit to the location. The only equipment I take are my camera, lens and a good sturdy tripod with a panoramic head(because I'm usually shooting full 360ยบ pans). With today's DSLRs and noise reduction software I can crank the ISO pretty high an get a quality image. I process the image in Photomatix but limit the processing to look the most natural. Since I shoot I lot of restaurants I've been asked to take quick shots of food while I'm there. So I thought why not try HDR with these shots too. Worked quite well! Now the flash pretty much stays in the bag.
Again I go back to the start of Photoshop and heard the complaints of how it was somehow cheating. I ask you did the carpenters reject the nail gun or mechanics the pneumatic wrench? I think not! So all I'm saying is embrace these new tools and make them work for you.

Thanks, Joe.


Sample HDR photos:



18 comments:

  1. Works great for the interior shots. Something about the color or contrast in the burger shot seems a tiny tiny bit off

    ReplyDelete
  2. these photos are kick ass!! the burger one makes me want a burger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. kp, thanks for commenting. Yea for some reason the hamburger shot seems a little flat in this blog. I'll try changing it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Green Door is great...can you take a pic like this at night in the same location? Love the Canterbury, its very appealing/colors seem perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can take these photos at night. The exposures will be longer but as long as the tripod is sturdy and nothing moves you're alright. I use a remote to fire the camera to cut down on any camera shake that could occur by using my finger. Thanks for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll never be good at hdr, but you have such an eye for this. Good job old man!

    ReplyDelete
  7. who cares about the burger...I only see the beer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. so in the old church was there any remnants of the altar or sacrasty (?) that you got pictures of?

    Bob D

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Back in my day, we used to have to walk to school, up hill, both ways.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are amazing shots, my friend. And hear hear regarding HDR. The haters are jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't worry Joe, you know how to do HDR right.

    ReplyDelete
  13. HDR done right!! Outstanding work Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. With all the poor quality HDR running around it is good to see that it can be done with style and taste! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the colors and composition of the food shot

    ReplyDelete
  16. That burger looks delicious. Nice photo!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the HDR especially the food shot. I'm a little distracted by the background on the food shot - I would have liked to see either more "texture" or none at all......

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow love your images, especially the one in the pub...classic.
    There is so much hype about HDR these days being overused and out of charater these days. I love the way that even with the use of HRD you images look perfect and done very tastefully.
    Some landscape HDR photographers really push the boundaries and results in much sceptisicm out there. Love your work.
    Helga
    Photographer, Sunshine Coast Qld Australia
    www.photograpers-sunshinecoast.com.au

    ReplyDelete